fantail(redirected from Rhipidurinae)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of a breed of domestic pigeons having a rounded, fan-shaped tail.
2. Any of several birds of the genus Rhipidura of eastern Asia and Australia, having a long, fan-shaped tail.
3. Any of a breed of goldfish having a wide, fanlike double tail fin.
4. A fanlike tail or end.
5. Nautical The stern overhang of a ship.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Breeds) a breed of domestic pigeon having a large tail that can be opened like a fan
2. (Animals) any Old World flycatcher of the genus Rhipidura, of Australia, New Zealand, and SE Asia, having a broad fan-shaped tail
3. a tail shaped like an outspread fan
4. (Architecture) architect a part or structure having a number of components radiating from a common centre
5. (Mechanical Engineering) a burner that ejects fuel to produce a wide flat flame in a lamp or furnace
6. (Mechanical Engineering) a flat jet of air and coal dust projected into the air stream of a pulverized-coal furnace
7. (Mechanical Engineering) an auxiliary sail on the upper portion of a windmill that turns the mill to face the wind
8. (Nautical Terms) US a curved part of the deck projecting aft of the sternpost of a ship
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a tail, end, or part shaped like a fan.
2. a bird having a broad, upward-slanting tail, as one of a breed of domestic pigeon.
4. the rounded overhang of the stern of some ships.adj.
5. (of shrimp) shelled, split almost through, and flattened slightly before cooking.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fantail - an overhang consisting of the fan-shaped part of the deck extending aft of the sternpost of a ship|
afterdeck - a deck abaft of midships
overhang - projection that extends beyond or hangs over something else
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (= pigeon) → Pfautaube f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007