Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Richardson: Samuel Richardson
Rich·ard·son(rĭch′ərd-sən), Henry Hobson 1838-1886.
American architect whose influential Romanesque designs include Trinity Church in Boston (1872-1877).
Richardson, Sir Ralph David 1902-1983.
British actor noted for his strong characterizations in classic roles as well as in contemporary works, such as Harold Pinter's No Man's Land (1975).
Richardson, Samuel 1689-1761.
English writer whose Pamela (1740) and Clarissa Harlowe (1748) helped legitimize the novel as a literary form in English.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Dorothy M(iller). 1873–1957, British novelist, a pioneer of stream-of-consciousness writing: author of the novel sequence Pilgrimage (14 vols, 1915–67)
2. (Biography) Henry Handel. pen name of Ethel Florence Lindesay Richardson, 1870–1946, Australian novelist; author of the trilogy The Fortunes of Richard Mahony (1917–29)
3. (Biography) Sir Owen Willans. 1879–1959, British physicist; a pioneer in the study of atomic physics: Nobel prize for physics 1928
4. (Biography) Sir Ralph (David). 1902–83, British stage and screen actor
5. (Biography) Samuel. 1689–1761, British novelist whose psychological insight and use of the epistolary form exerted a great influence on the development of the novel. His chief novels are Pamela (1740) and Clarissa (1747)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Rich•ard•son(ˈrɪtʃ ərd sən)
1. Henry Hobson, 1838–86, U.S. architect.
2. Sir Ralph (David), 1902–83, English actor.
3. Samuel, 1689–1761, English novelist.
4. a city in NE Texas, near Dallas. 77,080.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Richardson - United States architect (1838-1886)|
|2.||Richardson - British stage and screen actor noted for playing classic roles (1902-1983)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.