Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A town of southeast England east-southeast of London. From an ancient Roman settlement, it grew into an important medieval commercial center.
2. A city of southeast Minnesota that is southeast of Minneapolis. The Mayo Clinic (founded in 1889) is located here.
3. A city of western New York east-northeast of Buffalo on the New York State Canal System near Lake Ontario. It was first settled c. 1812 and grew rapidly after the opening of the Erie Canal (1825).
1. (Placename) a city in SE England, in Medway unitary authority, Kent, on the River Medway. Pop: 27 123 (2001)
2. (Placename) a city in NW New York State, on Lake Ontario. Pop: 215 093 (2003 est)
3. (Placename) a city in the US, in Minnesota: site of the Mayo Clinic. Pop: 92 507 (2003 est)
(Biography) 2nd Earl of, title of John Wilmot. 1647–80, English poet, wit, and libertine. His poems include satires, notably A Satire against Mankind (1675), love lyrics, and bawdy verse
Roch•es•ter(ˈrɒtʃ ɛs tər, -ə stər)
1. a city in W New York, on the Genesee River. 221,594.
2. a town in SE Minnesota. 60,300.
3. a city in N Kent, in SE England. 55,460.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Rochester - a city in western New York; a center of the photographic equipment industry|
|2.||Rochester - a town in southeast Minnesota|