rood(redirected from Rood stair)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a. Archaic The cross on which Jesus was crucified.
b. A crucifix, especially one surmounting the rood screen or rood beam of a medieval church.
2. Chiefly British A measure of length that varies from 5 1/2 to 8 yards (5.0 to 7.3 meters).
3. A measure of land equal to 1/4 acre, or 40 square rods (0.10 hectare).
[Middle English, from Old English rōd.]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms)
a. a crucifix, esp one set on a beam or screen at the entrance to the chancel of a church
b. (as modifier): rood beam; rood arch; rood screen.
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the Cross on which Christ was crucified
3. (Units) a unit of area equal to one quarter of an acre or 0.10117 hectares
4. (Units) a unit of area equal to 40 square rods
[Old English rōd; related to Old Saxon rōda, Old Norse rōtha]
1. a crucifix, esp. a large one at the entrance to the choir or chancel of a church.
a. a unit of length varying locally from 5½ to 8 yards (5 to 7 m).
b. a unit of land measure equal to 40 square rods or ¼ acre (0.1 ha).
c. a unit of square measure equal to one square rod (25.3 sq. m).
3. Archaic. the cross on which Christ died.
[before 900; Old English rōd crucifix, pole; c. German Rute rod, twig]
A unit of area equal to 1⁄4 acre (1210 yd2).