rookie(redirected from rookies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. An untrained or inexperienced recruit, as in the army or police.
b. An inexperienced person; a novice.
2. Sports A first-year player, especially in a professional sport.
[Perhaps alteration of recruit.]
1. informal an inexperienced person or newcomer, esp a raw recruit in the army
2. (Military) informal an inexperienced person or newcomer, esp a raw recruit in the army
[C20: changed from recruit]
1. an athlete in the first season as a member of a professional team.
2. an inexperienced military or police recruit.
3. a novice; beginner.
[1890–95; of uncertain orig.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rookie - an awkward and inexperienced youth|
rookie[ˈrʊkɪ] (US) N
1. (Mil) → novato/a m/f, bisoño/a m/f
2. (Sport) → debutante mf (en la temporada)
n (esp Mil sl) → Grünschnabel m (inf)