Ross(redirected from Ross (area))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Ross(rôs, rŏs), Betsy Griscom 1752-1836.
American seamstress who, according to tradition, made the first American flag (June 1776) at the request of George Washington.
Ross, Harold Wallace 1892-1951.
American publisher who founded and edited (1925-1951) the New Yorker magazine.
Ross, Sir James Clark 1800-1862.
British polar explorer who located the north magnetic pole (1831). On an Antarctic expedition (1839-1843), he discovered Victoria Land and the Ross Sea.
Ross, John Also called Kooweskoowe. 1790-1866.
Cherokee leader who reluctantly directed the forced removal of the Cherokee from Georgia to the Oklahoma Territory (1838-1839) along a route called the Trail of Tears.
Ross, Sir John 1777-1856.
British naval officer and Arctic explorer whose expeditions (1818 and 1829-1833) in search of the Northwest Passage yielded important geographic information.
Ross, Nellie Tayloe 1876-1977.
American politician who was elected (1924) to complete her deceased husband's term as governor of Wyoming (1925-1927), thereby becoming the first woman governor in the United States.
Ross, Sir Ronald 1857-1932.
British physician. He won a 1902 Nobel Prize for demonstrating that malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes.
1. (Biography) Diana. born 1944, US singer: lead vocalist (1961–69) with Motown group the Supremes, whose hits include "Baby Love" (1964). Her subsequent recordings include Lady Sings the Blues (film soundtrack, 1972), and "Chain Reaction" (1986)
2. (Biography) Sir James Clark. 1800–62, British naval officer; explorer of the Arctic and Antarctic. He located the north magnetic pole (1831) and discovered the Ross Sea during an Antarctic voyage (1839–43)
3. (Biography) his uncle, Sir John. 1777–1856, Scottish naval officer and Arctic explorer
4. (Biography) Sir Ronald. 1857–1932, English bacteriologist, who discovered the transmission of malaria by mosquitoes: Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1902
1. Betsy Griscom, 1752–1836, maker of the first U.S. flag.
2. Harold Wallace, 1892–1951, U.S. publisher and editor.
3. Sir James Clark, 1800–62, English explorer of the Arctic and the Antarctic.
4. his uncle, Sir John, 1777–1856, Scottish Arctic explorer.
5. John (Coowescoowe or Kooweskoowe), 1790–1866, Cherokee leader.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ross - Scottish explorer who led Arctic expeditions that yielded geographic discoveries while searching for the Northwest Passage (1777-1856)|
|2.||Ross - British explorer of the Arctic and Antarctic; located the north magnetic pole in 1831; discovered the Ross Sea in Antarctica; nephew of Sir John Ross (1800-1862)|
|3.||Ross - British physician who discovered that mosquitos transmit malaria (1857-1932)|
|4.||Ross - a politician in Wyoming who was the first woman governor in the United States (1876-1977)|
|5.||Ross - American seamstress said to have made the first American flag at the request of George Washington (1752-1836)|