rotor(redirected from Rotors)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A rotating part of an electrical or mechanical device.
2. An assembly of rotating horizontal airfoils, as that of a helicopter.
[Contraction of rotator.]
1. (General Engineering) the rotating member of a machine or device, esp the armature of a motor or generator or the rotating assembly of a turbine. Compare stator
2. (Aeronautics) a device having blades radiating from a central hub that is rotated to produce thrust to lift and propel a helicopter
3. (Automotive Engineering) the revolving arm of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine
4. (Physical Geography) a violent rolling wave of air occurring in the lee of a mountain or hill, in which the air rotates about a horizontal axis
[C20: shortened form of rotator]
1. a rotating member of a mechanical or electrical device, as in an electric motor or distributor. Compare stator.
2. a system of rotating airfoils, as the horizontal ones of a helicopter or of the compressor of a jet engine.
[1873; short for rotator]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rotor - the rotating armature of a motor or generator|
armature - coil in which voltage is induced by motion through a magnetic field
electric motor - a motor that converts electricity to mechanical work
generator - engine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by electromagnetic induction
turbine - rotary engine in which the kinetic energy of a moving fluid is converted into mechanical energy by causing a bladed rotor to rotate
|2.||rotor - the revolving bar of a distributor|
bar - a rigid piece of metal or wood; usually used as a fastening or obstruction or weapon; "there were bars in the windows to prevent escape"
|3.||rotor - rotating mechanism consisting of an assembly of rotating airfoils; "there are horizontal rotors on a helicopter or compressor rotors in a jet engine"|
eggbeater, helicopter, whirlybird, chopper - an aircraft without wings that obtains its lift from the rotation of overhead blades
impeller - the blade of a rotor (as in the compressor of a jet engine)
jet engine - a gas turbine produces a stream of hot gas that propels a jet plane by reaction propulsion
main rotor - rotor consisting of large rotating airfoils on a single-rotor helicopter that produce the lift to support the helicopter in the air
rotating mechanism - a mechanism that rotates
دَوّار في مُحَرِّك كَهْرُبائي
n (Aviat, Elec, Aut) → Rotor m
n → Verteilerfinger m
n → Flügelblatt nt
rotor[ˈrəʊtəʳ] n → rotore m
the rotating part of an engine, especially the blades of a helicopter. rotor, draaivlerk دَوّار في مُحَرِّك كَهْرُبائي ротор rotor rotor der Rotor rotor φτερό έλικας rotor rootor آرمیچر؛ ملخ هلی کوپتر roottori rotor רוֹטוֹר घूर्णक, रोटर rotor, horizontalni propeler helikoptera forgórész rotor snúður; þyrill rotore 回転翼 회전자, 회전익 rotorius rotors bahagian enjin yang berpusing rotorløpehjul, rotor wirnik ارمیچر، د هلی کوپټر دمه rotor rotor ротор rotor rotor rotor rotor ส่วนที่หมุนของเครื่องจักร; ใบพัดของเฮลิคอปเตอร์ helikopter pervanesi 轉動件 ротор مشین کا وہ حصہ جو گردش کر رہا ہو rôto; cánh quạt 转子，旋转器