rutabaga(redirected from Rutabega)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
ru·ta·ba·ga(ro͞o′tə-bā′gə, ro͝ot′ə-, ro͞o′tə-bā′gə, ro͝ot′ə-)
1. A plant (Brassica napus var. napobrassica) in the mustard family, having a thick bulbous yellowish root used as a vegetable.
2. The edible root of this plant. In both senses also called swede, Swedish turnip.
nAlso called (in Britain and certain other countries): swede
1. (Plants) US and Canadian a Eurasian plant, Brassica napus (or B. napobrassica), cultivated for its bulbous edible root, which is used as a vegetable and as cattle fodder: family Brassicaceae (crucifers)
2. (Cookery) the root of this plant
3. (Agriculture) the root of this plant
[C18: from Swedish dialect rotabagge, literally: root bag]
ru•ta•ba•ga(ˌru təˈbeɪ gə, ˈru təˌbeɪ-)
n., pl. -gas.
1. a plant, Brassicanapobrassica, of the mustard family, with a yellow- or white-fleshed, edible tuber.
2. the edible tuber, a variety of turnip.
[1790–1800, Amer.; < Swedish (dial.) rotabagge]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rutabaga - the large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food|
turnip - root of any of several members of the mustard family
|2.||rutabaga - a cruciferous plant with a thick bulbous edible yellow root|
rutabaga, yellow turnip, swedish turnip, swede - the large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food
turnip plant - any of several widely cultivated plants having edible roots
củ cải Thụy Điển
rutabaga[ˌruːtəˈbeɪgə] n (US) → rutabaga m
n (US) → Steckrübe f