gentian(redirected from Sabatia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of numerous plants of the family Gentianaceae and especially the genus Gentiana, characteristically having opposite leaves and showy, often blue flowers.
2. The dried rhizome and roots of a yellow-flowered European gentian, G. lutea, sometimes used as a tonic.
[Middle English gencian, from Old French genciane, from Latin gentiāna, perhaps after Gentius, second-century bc king of Illyria.]
1. (Plants) any gentianaceous plant of the genera Gentiana or Gentianella, having blue, yellow, white, or red showy flowers
2. (Plants) the bitter-tasting dried rhizome and roots of Gentiana lutea (European or yellow gentian), which can be used as a tonic
3. (Plants) any of several similar plants, such as the horse gentian
[C14: from Latin gentiāna; perhaps named after Gentius, a second-century bc Illyrian king, reputedly the first to use it medicinally]
1. any plant of the gentian family, esp. the genus Gentiana, having usu. blue but sometimes yellow, white, or red flowers.
2. the root of a European species of gentian, G. lutea, used as a tonic.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin gentiāna]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gentian - any of various plants of the family Gentianaceae especially the genera Gentiana and Gentianella and Gentianopsis|
flower - a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
family Gentianaceae, gentian family, Gentianaceae - chiefly herbaceous plants with showy flowers; some are cultivated as ornamentals
Gentiana acaulis, gentianella - low-growing alpine plant cultivated for its dark glossy green leaves in basal rosettes and showy solitary bell-shaped blue flowers
bottle gentian, Gentiana andrewsii, blind gentian, closed gentian - gentian of eastern North America having tubular blue or white flowers that open little if at all
explorer's gentian, Gentiana calycosa - tufted sometimes sprawling perennial with blue flowers spotted with green; western North America
blind gentian, closed gentian, Gentiana clausa - similar to Gentiana andrewsii but with larger flowers
calathian violet, Gentiana pneumonanthe, marsh gentian - perennial Eurasian gentian with sky-blue funnel-shaped flowers of damp open heaths
Gentiana saponaria, soapwort gentian - erect perennial of wet woodlands of North America having leaves and flower buds resembling those of soapwort
ague weed, agueweed, five-flowered gentian, Gentiana quinquefolia, Gentianella quinquefolia, stiff gentian - gentian of eastern North America having clusters of bristly blue flowers
felwort, gentianella amarella - gentian of Europe and China having creamy white flowers with fringed corollas
fringed gentian - any of various herbs of the genus Gentianopsis having the margins of the corolla lobes fringed; sometimes included in genus Gentiana
spurred gentian - any of various plants of the genus Halenia having flowers with spurred lobes