Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who observes Saturday as the Sabbath, as in Judaism.
2. One who believes in strict observance of the Sabbath.
Relating to the Sabbath or to Sabbatarians.
[From Late Latin sabbatārius, from Latin sabbatum, Sabbath; see Sabbath.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a person advocating the strict religious observance of Sunday
2. (Judaism) a person who observes Saturday as the Sabbath
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to the Sabbath or its observance
[C17: from Late Latin sabbatārius a Sabbath-keeper]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Sab•ba•tar•i•an(ˌsæb əˈtɛər i ən)
1. a person, esp. a Christian, who observes Saturday as the Sabbath.
2. a person who adheres to or advocates a strict observance of Sunday as a day of rest.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Sabbath and its observance.
[1605–15; < Late Latin sabbatāri(us), derivative of sabbatum Sabbath]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sabbatarian - one who observes Saturday as the Sabbath (as in Judaism)|
Judaism - the monotheistic religion of the Jews having its spiritual and ethical principles embodied chiefly in the Torah and in the Talmud
religious person - a person who manifests devotion to a deity
|Adj.||1.||Sabbatarian - pertaining to the Sabbath and its observance|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → sabatario
B. N → sabatario/a m/f partidario/a de guardar estrictamente el domingo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007