Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A member of an ancient people of central Italy, conquered and assimilated by the Romans in 290 bc.
2. The Italic language of the Sabines.
Of or relating to the Sabines or their language or culture.
[Middle English Sabyn, from Latin Sabīnus.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of an ancient Oscan-speaking people who lived in central Italy northeast of Rome
2. (Historical Terms) a member of an ancient Oscan-speaking people who lived in central Italy northeast of Rome
3. (Historical Terms) of, characteristic of, or relating to this people or their language
4. (Peoples) of, characteristic of, or relating to this people or their language
5. (Languages) of, characteristic of, or relating to this people or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a member of an Italic people living in the Apennines NE of Rome: subjugated by the Romans in 290 b.c.
a river flowing SE and S from NE Texas, forming the boundary between Texas and Louisiana, and then through Sabine Lake to the Gulf of Mexico. ab. 500 mi. (800 km) long.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sabine - a river in eastern Texas that flows south into the Gulf of Mexico|
|2.||Sabine - a member of an ancient Oscan-speaking people of the central Apennines north of Rome who were conquered and assimilated into the Roman state in 290 BC|
Italia, Italian Republic, Italy - a republic in southern Europe on the Italian Peninsula; was the core of the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire between the 4th century BC and the 5th century AD
Italian - a native or inhabitant of Italy
|Adj.||1.||Sabine - of or relating to or characteristic of the Sabines|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adj → sabinisch
n → Sabiner(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007