samurai(redirected from Saburai)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. samurai or sam·u·rais
1. The Japanese feudal military aristocracy.
2. A professional warrior belonging to this class.
[Japanese, warrior, from Old Japanese samurafi : sa-, pref. of unknown meaning + morafi, to watch, frequentative of mor-, to guard.]
n, pl -rai
1. (Historical Terms) the Japanese warrior caste that provided the administrative and fighting aristocracy from the 11th to the 19th centuries
2. (Historical Terms) a member of this aristocracy
[C19: from Japanese]
n., pl. -rai. (in feudal Japan)
1. a member of the hereditary warrior class.
2. a retainer of a daimyo.
[1720–30; < Japanese]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||samurai - a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy|
samurai - feudal Japanese military aristocracy
warrior - someone engaged in or experienced in warfare
|2.||samurai - feudal Japanese military aristocracy|
samurai - a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy