sachem(redirected from Sachem (title))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. A chief of a Native American tribe or confederation, especially an Algonquian chief.
b. A member of the ruling council of the Iroquois confederacy.
2. A high official of the Tammany Society, a political organization in New York City.
[Of Massachusett origin.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) US a leader of a political party or organization, esp of Tammany Hall
2. (Anthropology & Ethnology) another name for sagamore
[C17: from Narraganset sǎchim chief]
1. (among some North American Indians) the chief of a tribe or confederation.
2. one of the high officials in the Tammany Society.
[1615–25, Amer.; < SE New England Algonquian < Proto-Algonquian *sa·kima·wa]
sa•chem′ic (-ˈtʃɛm ɪk) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sachem - a political leader (especially of Tammany Hall)|
|2.||sachem - a chief of a North American tribe or confederation (especially an Algonquian chief)|