Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Sa·hap·tin(sä-hăp′tĭn) also Sha·hap·tin (shä-)
n. pl. Sahaptin or Sa·hap·tins also Shahaptin or Sha·hap·tins
1. A member of any of various Native American peoples of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.
2. The dialectally diverse Sahaptian language of the Sahaptin.
[Southern Interior Salish s'aptnx.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -tins, -tans, -tians, -tin, -tan or -tianAncient name: Shahaptin
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people of Oregon and Washington, including the Nez Percé
2. (Languages) the language of this people
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tins, (esp. collectively) -tin for 1.
1. a member of any of a group of American Indian peoples of the Columbia River plateau in Washington and Oregon.
2. the speech of these people, often regarded as divergent dialects of a single language.
[< Southern Interior Salish sˁaptnx Nez Percé, Sahaptin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sahaptin - a member of a North American Indian people who lived in Oregon along the Columbia river and its tributaries in Washington and northern Idaho|
Nez Perce - a member of a tribe of the Shahaptian people living on the pacific coast
Penutian - a member of a North American Indian people speaking one of the Penutian languages
|2.||Sahaptin - a Penutian language spoken by the Shahaptian|
Penutian - a family of Amerindian language spoken in the great interior valley of California
Nez Perce - the Shahaptian language spoken by the Nez Perce
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.