Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of southern India southwest of Chennai. It is a trade center with an important textile industry.
2. A city of northeast Massachusetts northeast of Boston. Founded in 1626, it is noted as the site of witchcraft trials (1692) and of Nathaniel Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables.
3. The capital of Oregon, in the northwest part of the state on the Willamette River south-southwest of Portland. Founded c. 1840 by Methodist missionaries, it became territorial capital in 1851 and state capital in 1859.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a city in S India, in Tamil Nadu: textile industries. Pop: 693 236 (2001)
2. (Placename) a city in NE Massachusetts, on the Atlantic: scene of the execution of 19 people after the witch hunts of 1692. Pop: 42 067 (2003 est)
3. (Placename) a city in the NW USA, the state capital of Oregon: food-processing. Pop: 142 914 (2003 est)
4. (Bible) an Old Testament name for Jerusalem (Genesis 14:18; Psalms 76:2). See Jerusalem
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a seaport in NE Massachusetts: founded 1626; execution of persons accused of witchcraft 1692. 38,220.
2. the capital of Oregon, in the NW part, on the Willamette River. 122,566.
3. a city in central Tamil Nadu, in S India. 515,000.
4. an ancient city of Canaan, later identified with Jerusalem. Gen. 14:18; Psalms 76:2.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Salem - capital of the state of Oregon in the northwestern part of the state on the Willamette River|
|2.||Salem - a city in northeastern Massachusetts; site of the witchcraft trials in 1692|
|3.||Salem - a city in southern India|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.