Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Samaritan: Samaria
1. A native or inhabitant of Samaria.
2. A member of a people inhabiting present-day Israel and the West Bank who trace their ancestry to the ancient Israelites and practice a religion related to pre-rabbinical Judaism.
3. often samaritan A Good Samaritan.
Of or relating to Samaria or to Samaritans.
[Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin Samarītānus, from Greek Samarītēs, from Samareia, Samaria.]
1. (Bible) a native or inhabitant of Samaria
2. (Bible) short for Good Samaritan
3. a member of a voluntary organization (the Samaritans) which offers counselling to people in despair, esp by telephone
4. (Languages) the dialect of Aramaic spoken in Samaria
5. (Historical Terms) the dialect of Aramaic spoken in Samaria
(Protestantism) of or relating to Samaria
Sa•mar•i•tan(səˈmær ɪ tn)
1. a native or inhabitant of ancient or modern Samaria.
2. a member of a religious sect of Samaria that split from Judaism in the 4th century b.c.
3. (often l.c.) good Samaritan.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Samaria or to Samaritans.
[before 1000; < Late Latin samarītānus < Greek samarit(ēs) dweller in Samaria]
the Samaritans (= organization) → S.O.S. Amitié