Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Sam·o·yed(săm′ə-yĕd′, -oi-ĕd′, sə-moi′ĭd)
a. A subdivision of the Uralic language family of extreme northwestern Russia that includes Nenets.
b. Nenets. No longer in technical use.
2. A dog of a medium-sized breed developed in northern Eurasia as a sled dog, having a thick white coat and a bushy tail carried over the back.
[Obsolete Russian samoyed, Nenets person, member of a people speaking a Samoyedic language, from alteration of samod, samoyad (taken as samo-, self; see samovar + -ed, eater; see ed- in Indo-European roots), of unknown origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -yed or -yeds
1. (Peoples) a member of a group of peoples who migrated along the Russian Arctic coast and now live chiefly in the area of the N Urals: related to the Finns
2. (Languages) the languages of these peoples, related to Finno-Ugric within the Uralic family
3. (Breeds) a Siberian breed of dog of the spitz type, having a dense white or cream coat with a distinct ruff, and a tightly curled tail
[C17: from Russian Samoed]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Sam•o•yed(ˌsæm əˈyɛd, səˈmɔɪ ɪd)
1. a member of any of a group of Uralic peoples living in W Siberia and the far NE parts of European Russia.
3. (sometimes l.c.) one of a Siberian breed of medium-sized dogs with long, straight, dense white or cream hair that forms a ruff around the neck.
[1580–90; < Russian samoyéd]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Samoyed - a Samoyedic-speaking person in northwestern Siberia|
Russian - a native or inhabitant of Russia
|2.||Samoyed - the Uralic languages spoken by the Samoyed in northwestern Siberia|
Enets, Entsi, Entsy, Yenisei-Samoyed, Yenisei, Yeniseian - the Uralic language spoken by the Yeniseian
Nganasan - the Uralic language spoken by the Nganasan
|3.||Samoyed - Siberian breed of white or cream-colored dog of the spitz family|
spitz - any of various stocky heavy-coated breeds of dogs native to northern regions having pointed muzzles and erect ears with a curled furry tail
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.