Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to San Juan: San Juan Hill
San Juan(săn wän′, sän hwän′)
1. A city of northwest Argentina west of Córdoba. Founded in 1562, it was moved to its present site in the 1590s.
2. The capital and largest city of Puerto Rico, in the northeast part of the island on the Atlantic Ocean. Settled by Ponce de León in 1508-1509, it was attacked by English buccaneers in the 1590s and sacked by the Dutch in 1625. American forces took control of the city during the Spanish-American War (1898).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
San Juan(Spanish saŋ ˈxwan)
1. (Placename) the capital and chief port of Puerto Rico, on the NE coast; University of Puerto Rico; manufacturing centre. Pop: 433 733 (2003 est)
2. (Placename) a city in W Argentina: almost completely destroyed by an earthquake in 1944. Pop: 455 000 (2005 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
San Juan(ˌsæn ˈwɑn, ˈʰwɑn)
1. the capital of Puerto Rico, on the NE coast. 431,227.
2. a city in W Argentina. 352,691.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||San Juan - the capital and largest city of Puerto Rico|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.