sandfly(redirected from Sandflea)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
sand·flyor sand fly (sănd′flī′)
1. Any of various small biting flies of the genus Phlebotomus of tropical areas, some of which transmit diseases.
2. See biting midge.
n, pl -flies
1. (Animals) any of various small mothlike dipterous flies of the genus Phlebotomus and related genera: the bloodsucking females transmit diseases including leishmaniasis: family Psychodidae
2. (Animals) any of various similar and related flies
n., pl. -flies.
1. any of several small, bloodsucking insects of the family Psychodidae that are vectors of several diseases of humans.
2. any of several other small, bloodsucking insects, as one of the family Heleidae or Simuliidae.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sandfly - any of various small dipterous flies; bloodsucking females can transmit sandfly fever and leishmaniasis|
gnat - any of various small biting flies: midges; biting midges; black flies; sand flies