Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
San·ta An·a 1(săn′tə ăn′ə)
A city of southern California southeast of Los Angeles. Now the largest city in Orange County, Santa Ana grew as an agricultural center in the fertile valley of the Santa Ana River, about 145 km (90 mi) long. Northeast of the city, the river crosses the northern end of the Santa Ana Mountains, a coastal range rising to 1,733 m (5,687 ft), and forms Santa Ana Canyon.
San·ta An·a 2(săn′tə ăn′ə)
A strong dry hot wind blowing from the desert regions of southern California toward the Pacific coast, usually in winter.
[After the Santa Ana Canyon.]
1. (Placename) a city in NW El Salvador: the second largest city in the country; coffee-processing industry. Pop: 172 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) a city in SW California: commercial and processing centre of a rich agricultural region. Pop: 342 510 (2003 est)
San′ta An′a(ˈæn ə)
1. a city in SW California. 239,540.
2. a city in NW El Salvador. 174,546.
3. (in S California) a weather condition in which strong, hot, dust-bearing winds descend to the Pacific coast around Los Angeles from inland desert regions.
a hot, dry, dust-bearing wind that blows from inland desert regions in southern California.See also: Wind
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Santa Ana - a strong hot dry wind that blows in winter from the deserts of southern California toward the Pacific Coast|
|2.||Santa Ana - Mexican general who tried to crush the Texas revolt and who lost battles to Winfield Scott and Zachary Taylor in the Mexican War (1795-1876)|
|3.||Santa Ana - a city in southern California to the east of Long Beach|
|4.||Santa Ana - a city in western El Salvador|