sapodilla(redirected from Sapotta)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Sapotta: sapota
1. An evergreen tree (Manilkara zapota) of Mexico and Central America, having latex that yields chicle and edible fruit with sweet yellow-brown flesh.
2. The fruit of this plant.
[Spanish zapotillo, diminutive of zapote, sapodilla fruit, from Nahuatl tzapotl.]
nAlso called: naseberry or sapota
1. (Plants) a large tropical American evergreen tree, Achras zapota, the latex of which yields chicle
2. (Plants) Also called: sapodilla plum the edible brown rough-skinned fruit of this tree, which has a sweet yellowish pulp
[C17: from Spanish zapotillo, diminutive of zapote sapodilla fruit, from Nahuatl tsapotl]
sap•o•dil•la(ˌsæp əˈdɪl ə)
n., pl. -las.
1. a large evergreen tree, Achras zapota, of tropical America, bearing an edible fruit: yields chicle.
2. Also called sap′odil′la plum′. the fruit itself.
[1690–1700; < Sp zapotillo=zapot(e) < Nahuatl tzapotl + -illo diminutive suffix]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sapodilla - large tropical American evergreen yielding chicle gum and edible fruit; sometimes placed in genus Achras|
sapodilla plum, sapota, sapodilla - tropical fruit with a rough brownish skin and very sweet brownish pulp
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||sapodilla - tropical fruit with a rough brownish skin and very sweet brownish pulp|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh