sox(redirected from Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002)
Also found in: Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
(Clothing & Fashion) informal socks
n., pl. socks or, for 1, sometimes sox.
1. a short stocking usu. reaching to the calf or just above the ankle.
2. a lightweight shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors.
3. comic writing for the theater; comedy or comic drama. Compare buskin (def. 3).v.t.
4. sock away, to put into savings or reserve.
5. sock in, to close up (an airport) or ground (an aircraft).
[before 900; Middle English socke, Old English socc « Latin soccus slipper]
1. to strike or hit hard.n.
2. a hard blow.adj.
[1690–1700; orig. uncertain]