dome(redirected from Saucer Top)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a. A roof or vault having a circular, polygonal, or elliptical base and a generally hemispherical or semispherical shape.
b. A geodesic dome.
2. A domelike structure or object.
3. Geology Any of various natural structures having a rounded shape, especially:
a. A system of strata that is uplifted in the center, forming a concentric anticline.
b. A mass of granite that has been weathered into a rounded shape by exfoliation.
c. A mound formed by the extrusion of viscous lava from a volcano.
4. Chemistry A form of crystal with two similarly inclined faces that meet at an edge parallel to the horizontal axis.
5. Slang The human head.
6. Archaic A large, stately building.
v. domed, dom·ing, domes
1. To cover with or as if with a dome.
2. To shape like a dome.
To rise or swell into the shape of a dome.
[From French dôme, dome, cathedral (from Italian duomo, cathedral, from Latin domus, house; see dem- in Indo-European roots) and from French dôme, roof (from Provençal doma, from Greek dōma, house; see dem- in Indo-European roots).]
dom′al (dō′məl) adj.
1. (Architecture) a hemispherical roof or vault or a structure of similar form
2. something shaped like this
3. (Chemistry) crystallog a crystal form in which two planes intersect along an edge parallel to a lateral axis
4. a slang word for the head
5. (Geological Science) geology
a. a structure in which rock layers slope away in all directions from a central point
b. another name for pericline2
6. (Architecture) to cover with or as if with a dome
7. to shape like a dome
[C16: from French, from Italian duomo cathedral, from Latin domus house]
n., v. domed, dom•ing. n.
a. a vault, having a circular plan and usu. in the form of a portion of a sphere, so constructed as to exert an equal thrust in all directions.
b. a domical roof or ceiling.
c. a polygonal vault, ceiling, or roof.
2. Crystall. a form having planes that intersect the vertical axis and are parallel to one of the lateral axes.
3. Geol. a large-scale circular structural feature with flanks that slope gradually away from the center.
4. a raised, glass-enclosed section of the roof of a railway passenger car, placed over an elevated section of seats to afford a full view of scenery.
5. a mountain peak having a rounded summit.
6. Slang. a person's head.v.t.
7. to cover with or as if with a dome.
8. to shape like a dome.v.i.
9. to rise or swell as a dome.
[1505–15; < Middle French dome < Italian duomo < Medieval Latin domus (Deī) house (of God), church]
See: spray dome.
Past participle: domed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dome - a concave shape whose distinguishing characteristic is that the concavity faces downward|
|2.||dome - informal terms for a human head |
human head - the head of a human being
|3.||dome - a stadium that has a roof|
|4.||dome - a hemispherical roof|
astrodome - a transparent dome on top of an airplane where the navigator can make celestial observations
cupola - a roof in the form of a dome
geodesic dome - a lightweight dome constructed of interlocking polygons; invented by R. Buckminster Fuller
onion dome - a dome that is shaped like a bulb; characteristic of Russian and Byzantine church architecture
pressure dome - a dome-shaped building that is pressurized
roof - a protective covering that covers or forms the top of a building
dome[ˈdəʊm] n → dôme m
dome[dəʊm] n → cupola
a roof shaped like half a ball. the dome of the cathedral. koepel قُبَّه купол cúpula kopule die Kuppel kuppel θόλοςcúpula kuppel گنبد؛ طاق گرد kupoli dôme כִּיפָּה] गुंबद krov, kupola kupola kubah hvolfþak cupola 丸屋根 둥근 지붕 kupolas kupols kubah koepelkuppel kopuła ګنپته يا ګنيزه cúpula dom купол kupola kupola kupola kupol หลังคารูปทรงกลม kubbe 圓屋頂 купол گنبد mái vòm 圆屋顶domed adjective
having or resembling a dome. a domed forehead. koepelvormig ذو قُبِّه сводест abaulado (vy)klenutý, kopulovitý gewölbt kuppelformet θολωτός con cúpula, en forma de huevo, abovedado kupliga, kuplikujuline گنبدی شکل kupumainen bombé בְּצוּרַת כִּיפָּה गुम्बददार u obliku kupole domború mirip kubah hvelfdur, ávalur fatto a cupola ドーム形の 둥근 지붕 형태의 iškilas, kupoliškas augsta piere jendul gewelfdhvelvet kopulasty, zaokrąglony گنبدی شکل abaulado bombat, boltit выпуклый kupolovitý izbočen kupolast kupig, välvd ที่มีหลังคารูปทรงกลม kubbeli 圓頂的 куполоподібний گنبدنما có mái vòm 圆顶的