scalar(redirected from Scalar processor)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Scalar processor: Vector processor
a. A quantity, such as mass, length, or speed, that is completely specified by its magnitude and has no direction.
b. Mathematics A number, numerical quantity, or element in a field.
2. A device that yields an output equal to the input multiplied by a constant, as in a linear amplifier.
Of or relating to a scalar.
[Latin scālāris, of a ladder, from scālae, ladder; see scale2.]
1. (Mathematics) a quantity, such as time or temperature, that has magnitude but not direction. Compare vector1, tensor2, pseudoscalar, pseudovector
2. (Mathematics) maths an element of a field associated with a vector space
(Mathematics) having magnitude but not direction
[C17 (meaning: resembling a ladder): from Latin scālāris, from scāla ladder]
1. representable by position on a scale or line; having only magnitude: a scalar variable.
2. of, pertaining to, or utilizing a scalar.
3. ladderlike in arrangement or organization; graduated.n.
4. a quantity possessing only magnitude. Compare vector (def. 1).
A quantity, such as mass, length, or speed, whose only property is magnitude; a number. Compare vector.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scalar - a variable quantity that cannot be resolved into components|
|Adj.||1.||scalar - of or relating to a musical scale; "he played some basic scalar patterns on his guitar"|
|2.||scalar - of or relating to a directionless magnitude (such as mass or speed etc.) that is completely specified by its magnitude; "scalar quantity"|