ghetto(redirected from Schtetl)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ghet·tos or ghet·toes
1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto: "trapped in ethnic or pink-collar managerial job ghettoes" (Diane Weathers).
In a manner typical or stereotypical of an impoverished urban area, as in being makeshift, garish, or crass: "I pick up the pair of very big, very ghetto, door-knocker bamboo earrings" (Meesha Mink and De'nesha Diamond)."Isn't chewing gum when accepting an award very ghetto?" (Vibe).
[Italian, after Ghetto, island near Venice where Jews were made to live in the 16th century.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -tos or -toes
1. (Sociology) sociol a densely populated slum area of a city inhabited by a socially and economically deprived minority
2. (Sociology) an area in a European city in which Jews were formerly required to live
3. (Sociology) a group or class of people that is segregated in some way
[C17: from Italian, perhaps shortened from borghetto, diminutive of borgo settlement outside a walled city; or from the Venetian ghetto the medieval iron-founding district, largely inhabited by Jews]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tos, -toes.
1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of a minority group.
2. (formerly, in most European countries) a section of a city in which all Jews were required to live.
3. an environment to which a group has been relegated, as because of bias, or in which a group has segregated itself for various reasons: female job ghettos; a suburban ghetto for millionaires.
[1605–15; < Italian, orig. the name of an island near Venice where Jews were forced to reside in the 16th century < Venetian, literally, foundry (giving the island its name), n. derivative of ghettare to cast; see jet1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ghetto - formerly the restricted quarter of many European cities in which Jews were required to live; "the Warsaw ghetto"|
quarter - a district of a city having some distinguishing character; "the Latin Quarter"
|2.||ghetto - any segregated mode of living or working that results from bias or stereotyping; "the relative security of the gay ghetto"; "no escape from the ghetto of the typing pool"|
life - a characteristic state or mode of living; "social life"; "city life"; "real life"
|3.||ghetto - a poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions|
city district - a district of a town or city
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (lit, fig) → G(h)etto nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
ghetto[ˈgɛtəʊ] n → ghetto
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
ghetto(ˈgetəu) – plural ˈghetto(e)s – noun
a (poor) part of a city etc in which a certain group of people (especially immigrants) lives. Large cities like New York have many ghettoes. ghetto جيتو гето gueto ghetto das Ghetto ghetto γκέτοgueto geto محل سکونت اقلیت ها getto ghettoגטו अल्पसंख्यकों की अविकसित जगह geto gettó permukiman golongan minoritas (gyðinga)hverfi; fátækrahverfi ghetto 少数民族居住区 대도시의 소수 민족 거주지, 게토 getas geto; (pilsētas) graustu rajons kawasan perumahan sesak gettogetto getto د اقليتو د اوسيدلو ځاى bairro da lata ghetou гетто geto geto geto getto สลัม mahalle, varoş 城市中(尤指移民住的)貧民區 гетто شہر کا پس ماندہ علاقہ khu nhà ổ chuột 城市中（尤指移民住的）的贫民区，少数民族聚居的地方
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.