turbot(redirected from Scophthalmid)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. turbot or tur·bots
1. A flatfish, Psetta maxima syn. Scophthalmus maximus, of marine and brackish waters of Europe and North Africa, having a brown knobby upper side and prized as food.
2. Any of various flatfishes or other fishes that are similar to this fish.
n, pl -bot or -bots
1. (Animals) a European flatfish, Scophthalmus maximus, having a pale brown speckled scaleless body covered with tubercles: family Bothidae. It is highly valued as a food fish
2. (Animals) any of various similar or related fishes
[C13: from Old French tourbot, from Medieval Latin turbō, from Latin: spinning top, from a fancied similarity in shape; see turbit, turbine]
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -bot, (esp. for kinds or species) -bots.
1. a European flatfish, Psetta maxima, having a diamond-shaped body.
2. any of several other flatfishes.
[1250–1300; Middle English turbut < Anglo-French; Old French tourbot < Medieval Latin turb(ō) turbot + Old French -ot n. suffix]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turbot - flesh of a large European flatfish |
flounder - flesh of any of various American and European flatfish
|2.||turbot - a large brownish European flatfish |
turbot - flesh of a large European flatfish