scrim(redirected from Scrim (Disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A durable, loosely woven fabric, often cotton, linen, hemp, or a synthetic fiber, used for curtains or upholstery lining or in industry.
2. A transparent fabric used as a drop in the theater to create special effects of lights or atmosphere.
3. Something that conceals or obscures something else.
(Textiles) an open-weave muslin or hessian fabric, used in upholstery, lining, building, and in the theatre to create the illusion of a solid wall or to suggest haziness, etc, according to the lighting
[C18: origin unknown]
1. a cotton or linen fabric of open weave used for bunting, curtains, etc.
2. Theat. a piece of such fabric used as a drop, border, or the like, for creating the illusion of a solid wall or backdrop under certain lighting conditions or creating a semitransparent curtain when lit from behind.
[1785–95; orig. uncertain]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scrim - a firm open-weave fabric used for a curtain in the theater|