sediment(redirected from Sedimentary soil)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Sedimentary soil: Sediments
1. Material that settles to the bottom of a liquid; lees.
2. Solid fragments of inorganic or organic material that come from the weathering of rock and are carried and deposited by wind, water, or ice.
1. matter that settles to the bottom of a liquid
2. (Geological Science) material that has been deposited from water, ice, or wind
[C16: from Latin sedimentum a settling, from sedēre to sit]
sed•i•ment(ˈsɛd ə mənt)
1. the matter that settles to the bottom of a liquid; lees; dregs.
2. Geol. mineral or organic matter deposited by water, air, or ice.
1. Geology Silt, sand, rocks, fossils, and other matter carried and deposited by water, wind, or ice.
2. Chemistry Particles of solid matter that settle out of a suspension to the bottom of the liquid.
- decant - Means to pour wine, taking pains not to disturb any sediment at the bottom; decant comes from Latin de- and canthus, "angular lip of a jug."
- allogenic, allochthonous - Geological material that has been transported and then accumulates elsewhere is allochthonous, and sediment carried by a river is allogenic.
- lithification - The process of compaction of sediment into stone.
- swarve - To choke with sediment.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sediment - matter that has been deposited by some natural process|
matter - that which has mass and occupies space; "physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"
alluvial deposit, alluvial sediment, alluvium, alluvion - clay or silt or gravel carried by rushing streams and deposited where the stream slows down
lees - the sediment from fermentation of an alcoholic beverage
evaporite - the sediment that is left after the evaporation of seawater
|Verb||1.||sediment - deposit as a sediment|
posit, situate, deposit, fix - put (something somewhere) firmly; "She posited her hand on his shoulder"; "deposit the suitcase on the bench"; "fix your eyes on this spot"
sediment - settle as sediment
|2.||sediment - settle as sediment|
settle, settle down - settle into a position, usually on a surface or ground; "dust settled on the roofs"
sediment - deposit as a sediment
the material that settles at the bottom of a liquid. Her feet sank into the sediment on the river bed. sediment ثُفْل утайка sedimento usazenina das Sediment bundfald; aflejring ίζημα, κατακάθιsedimento sete رسوب sakka sédimentמשקע तलछट sediment, talog üledék endapan botnfall/-lag sedimento 沈澱物 침전물 nuosėdos nogulsnes mendapan bezinkselbunnfallosad كنوبى، رسوبي مواد (داوبو يا بادپواسطه)، خړه: تل ته كښيناستونكى مواد sedimento sediment осадок, отложение usadenina usedlina sediment sediment, avlagring, bottensats ตะกอน çökelti, tortu 沈積物 осад; мул تلچھٹ cặn 沉积物
n. sedimento, materia que se deposita en el fondo de un líquido.