Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of any of the peoples speaking a Semitic language, including the Arabs, Arameans, Babylonians, Carthaginians, Hebrews, Phoenicians, and many of the peoples of Ethiopia.
2. A Jew.
3. Bible A descendant of Shem.
[Back-formation from Semitic.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Semite(ˈsiːmaɪt) or less commonly
1. (Peoples) a member of the group of Caucasoid peoples who speak a Semitic language, including the Jews and Arabs as well as the ancient Babylonians, Assyrians, and Phoenicians
2. (Peoples) another word for a Jew
[C19: from New Latin sēmīta descendant of Shem, via Greek Sēm, from Hebrew Shem]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Sem•ite(ˈsɛm aɪt; esp. Brit. ˈsi maɪt)
1. a member of a people speaking a Semitic language.
2. a member of any of the peoples descended from Shem, the eldest son of Noah.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa|
Babylonian - an inhabitant of ancient Babylon
Assyrian - an inhabitant of ancient Assyria
Phoenician - a member of an ancient Semitic people who dominated trade in the first millennium B.C.
Arab, Arabian - a member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa
Aramaean, Aramean - a member of one of a group of Semitic peoples inhabiting Aram and parts of Mesopotamia from the 11th to the 8th century BC
Canaanite - a member of an ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before it was conquered by the Israelites
|Adj.||1.||Semite - of or relating to or characteristic of Semites; "Semite peoples"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Semite[ˈsiːmaɪt] N → semita mf
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007