fetishism(redirected from Sexual Fetishism)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Worship of or belief in magical fetishes.
2. Excessive attachment or regard.
3. The deriving of sexual gratification from fantasies or acts involving a fetish.
fetishism(ˈfɛtɪˌʃɪzəm; ˈfiː-) or
1. (Psychiatry) a condition in which the handling of an inanimate object or a specific part of the body other than the sexual organs is a source of sexual satisfaction
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) belief in or recourse to a fetish for magical purposes
3. excessive attention or attachment to something
ˈfetishist, ˈfetichist n
ˌfetishˈistic, ˌfetichˈistic adj
fet•ish•ism(ˈfɛt ɪˌʃɪz əm, ˈfi tɪ-)
1. belief in, preference for, or use of fetishes.
2. excessive or blind devotion.Sometimes, fet′ich•ism.
Psychiatry. the compulsive use of some object or part of the body as a sexual stimulus, as a shoe, underclothes, a lock of hair, etc. — fetishist, fetichist, n. — fetishistic, fetichistic, adj.See also: Sex
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fetishism - a belief in the magical power of fetishes (or the worship of a fetish)|
belief - any cognitive content held as true
|2.||fetishism - sexual arousal or gratification resulting from handling a fetish (or a specific part of the body other than the sexual organs)|
paraphilia - abnormal sexual activity