shanghai(redirected from Shàng Hai)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Shang·hai 1(shăng-hī′, shäng′-)
A city of eastern China at the mouth of the Yangtze River southeast of Nanjing. The largest city in the country, it was a treaty port following the Opium War (1839-1842). France, Great Britain, and the United States all held large concessions in the city until the early 1900s.
tr.v. shang·haied, shang·hai·ing, shang·hais
1. To kidnap (a man) for compulsory service aboard a ship, especially after drugging him.
2. To induce or compel (someone) to do something, especially by fraud or force: We were shanghaied into buying worthless securities.
[After Shanghai1from the former custom of kidnapping sailors to man ships going to China.]
(Placename) a port in E China, capital of Shanghai municipality (traditionally in SE Jiangsu) near the estuary of the Yangtze: the largest city in China and one of the largest ports in the world; a major cultural and industrial centre, with many universities. Pop: 12 665 000 (2005 est)
vb (tr) , -hais, -haiing or -haied
1. (Nautical Terms) to kidnap (a man or seaman) for enforced service at sea, esp on a merchant ship
2. to force or trick (someone) into doing something, going somewhere, etc
3. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) Austral and NZ to shoot with a catapult
(Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) Austral and NZ a catapult
[C19: from the city of Shanghai; from the forceful methods formerly used to collect crews for voyages to the Orient]
shang•hai(ˈʃæŋ haɪ, ʃæŋˈhaɪ)
v.t. -haied, -hai•ing.
to enroll or obtain (a sailor) for the crew of a ship by unscrupulous means, as by force.
[1870–75, Amer.; after Shanghai]
a seaport and municipality in Jiangsu province, in E China, near the mouth of the Chang Jiang. 7,830,000 (municipality 13,560,000).
Past participle: shanghaied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Shanghai - the largest city of China; located in the east on the Pacific; one of the largest ports in the world|
|Verb||1.||shanghai - take (someone) against his will for compulsory service, especially on board a ship; "The men were shanghaied after being drugged"|
crime, criminal offence, criminal offense, law-breaking, offense, offence - (criminal law) an act punishable by law; usually considered an evil act; "a long record of crimes"