Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Shan or Shans
1. A member of any of a group of tribes inhabiting the hills and plateaus of northeast Myanmar (Burma) and adjacent parts of China, Laos, and Thailand.
2. The Tai language of the Shan.
Of or relating to the Shan or their language or culture.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl Shans or Shan
1. (Peoples) a member of a Mongoloid people living in Myanmar, Thailand, and SW China
2. (Languages) the language or group of dialects spoken by the Shan, belonging to the Sino-Tibetan family and closely related to Thai
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. Shans, (esp. collectively) Shan.
1. a member of a people of N and E Burma and adjacent parts of S Yunnan in China.
2. the Tai language of the Shans.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.