dividend(redirected from Share dividend)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Share dividend: Stock Dividends
1. Mathematics A quantity to be divided.
a. A share of profits paid to a stockholder or to a policyholder in a mutual insurance society.
b. A payment pro rata to a creditor of a person adjudged bankrupt.
a. A share of a surplus; a bonus.
b. An unexpected gain, benefit, or advantage.
[Alteration (influenced by French dividende) of Middle English divident, from Latin dīvidēns, dīvident-, present participle of dīvidere, to divide; see divide.]
1. (Banking & Finance) finance
a. a distribution from the net profits of a company to its shareholders
b. a pro-rata portion of this distribution received by a shareholder
2. (Banking & Finance) the share of a cooperative society's surplus allocated at the end of a period to members
3. (Insurance) insurance a sum of money distributed from a company's net profits to the holders of certain policies
4. something extra; bonus
5. (Mathematics) a number or quantity to be divided by another number or quantity. Compare divisor
6. (Law) law the proportion of an insolvent estate payable to the creditors
[C15: from Latin dīvidendum what is to be divided; see divide]
1. a number that is to be divided by a divisor.
a. a sum paid to shareholders out of company earnings.
b. a pro-rata share of such a sum.
3. a portion of an insurance premium returned to the policyholder as part of surplus funds.
4. a share of anything divided.
5. anything received in addition to or beyond what is expected; bonus.
[1470–80; < Latin dīvidendum thing to be divided, neuter ger. of dīvidere to divide]
A number divided by another. In the equation 15 ÷ 3 = 5, 15 is the dividend.
A portion of the profits of a company made to its shareholders.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dividend - that part of the earnings of a corporation that is distributed to its shareholders; usually paid quarterly|
net income, net profit, profit, profits, earnings, lucre, net - the excess of revenues over outlays in a given period of time (including depreciation and other non-cash expenses)
stock dividend - a dividend paid in stock rather than in cash
extra dividend - a dividend paid in addition to the regular dividend
equalizing dividend - a dividend paid to compensate shareholders for losses resulting from a change in the dividend schedule
divvy - short for dividend; especially one paid by a cooperative society
|2.||dividend - a number to be divided by another number|
number - a concept of quantity involving zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
numerator - the dividend of a fraction
|3.||dividend - a bonus; something extra (especially a share of a surplus)|
فائِدَة السَّهْم، رَبيحَه
dividend[ˈdɪvɪˌdɛnd] n (Fin) → dividendo
the interest paid on shares etc. a dividend of 2%. dividende, winsaandeel فائِدَة السَّهْم، رَبيحَه дивидент dividendo dividenda der Gewinnanteil dividende; aktieudbytte μέρισμαdividendo dividend سود osinko dividendeדיבידנד लाभांश dividenda, djeljenik osztalék dividen arður dividendo 配当 배당(금) dividendas dividende dividen dividendutbytte, avkastning, dividendedywidenda ګټه dividendo dividend дивиденд dividenda dividenda dividenda utdelning, återbäring เงินปันผล kâr payı 股息，紅利 дивіденд کوئی رقم جو کمپنی کے حصہ داروں کو ان کے حصے کے تناسب میں برابر برابر تقسیم کی جاۓ cổ tức 股息，红利