dilatant(redirected from Shear thickening fluid)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Tending to dilate; dilating.
2. Exhibiting dilatancy.
1. tending to dilate; dilating
2. (General Physics) physics of, concerned with, or exhibiting dilatancy
(Medicine) something, such as a catheter, that causes dilation
di•lat•ant(dɪˈleɪt nt, daɪ-)
1. dilating; expanding.
2. exhibiting an increase in volume when changed in shape because of wider spacing between particles.
3. (of rock) exhibiting an increase in volume because of recrystallization.
[1835–45; < Latin]