Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Shiah: Shoah
Shi·aor Shi·ah also Shi·'a (shē′ə)Islam
1. (Used with a pl. verb) The Shiites.
2. (used with a sing. verb) A Shiite.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Islam) one of the two main branches of Islam (the other being the Sunni), making up a tenth or more of the entire Muslim population, and forming the majority in Iran and Iraq, which regards Mohammed's cousin Ali and his successors as the true imams
2. (Islam) another name for Shiite
(Islam) designating or characteristic of this sect or its beliefs and practices
[C17: from Arabic shī'ah sect, from shā'a to follow]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or Shi•'a(ˈʃi ə)
1. (used with a pl. v.) the Shi‘ites.
2. (used with a sing. v.) Shi‘ite.
[1620–30; < Arabic shī‘ah literally, sect]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Shiah - one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam; mainly in Iran|
Islam, Muslimism - the civilization of Muslims collectively which is governed by the Muslim religion; "Islam is predominant in northern Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, and Indonesia"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.