Shiah(redirected from Shila)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Shi·aor Shi·ah also Shi·'a (shē′ə)Islam
1. (Used with a pl. verb) The Shiites.
2. (used with a sing. verb) A Shiite.
1. (Islam) one of the two main branches of Islam (the other being the Sunni), making up a tenth or more of the entire Muslim population, and forming the majority in Iran and Iraq, which regards Mohammed's cousin Ali and his successors as the true imams
2. (Islam) another name for Shiite
(Islam) designating or characteristic of this sect or its beliefs and practices
[C17: from Arabic shī'ah sect, from shā'a to follow]
or Shi•'a(ˈʃi ə)
1. (used with a pl. v.) the Shi‘ites.
2. (used with a sing. v.) Shi‘ite.
[1620–30; < Arabic shī‘ah literally, sect]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Shiah - one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam; mainly in Iran|
Islam, Muslimism - the civilization of Muslims collectively which is governed by the Muslim religion; "Islam is predominant in northern Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, and Indonesia"