shenanigan(redirected from Shinanigans)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A playful or mischievous act; a prank: We're tired of your shenanigans!
2. An underhanded act or deceitful remark: Financial shenanigans brought down the brokerage.
1. (usually plural) roguishness; mischief
2. an act of treachery; deception
[C19: of unknown origin]
she•nan•i•gan(ʃəˈnæn ɪ gən)
1. Usu., shenanigans.
a. mischief; prankishness.
b. deceit; trickery.
2. a mischievous or deceitful trick.
[1850–55, Amer.; of obscure orig.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shenanigan - reckless or malicious behavior that causes discomfort or annoyance in others|
mischief, mischief-making, devilment, roguery, roguishness, devilry, deviltry, mischievousness, rascality
monkey business - mischievous or deceitful behavior
|2.||shenanigan - the use of tricks to deceive someone (usually to extract money from them)|
dupery, hoax, put-on, humbug, fraud, fraudulence - something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
jugglery - artful trickery designed to achieve an end; "the senator's tax program was mere jugglery"
1. Informal. An indirect, usually cunning means of gaining an end:
artifice, deception, device, dodge, feint, gimmick, imposture, jig, maneuver, ploy, ruse, sleight, stratagem, subterfuge, trick, wile.
2. Informal. A mischievous act:
Slang: monkeyshine (often used in plural).