shire(redirected from Shiré)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A former administrative division of Great Britain, equivalent to a county.
2. often Shire A Shire horse.
[Middle English, from Old English scīr, official charge, administrative district.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. one of the British counties
b. (in combination): Yorkshire.
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Australia) a rural district having its own local council
3. (Breeds) See shire horse
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Midland counties of England, esp Northamptonshire and Leicestershire, famous for hunting, etc
[Old English scīr office; related to Old High German scīra business]
(tr) dialect Ulster to refresh or rest: let me get my head shired.
[from Old English scīr clear]
(Placename) a river in E central Africa, flowing from Lake Malawi through Malawi and Mozambique to the Zambezi. Length: 596 km (370 miles)
Shire Highlands, Shiré Highlands pl n
1. one of the counties of Great Britain.
2. the Shires, the counties in the Midlands in which hunting is esp. popular.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English scīr office of administration, county]
one of an English breed of large, strong draft horses having a brown or bay coat with feathering on the legs.
a river in SE Africa, flowing S from Lake Malawi to the Zambezi River. 370 mi. (596 km) long.
Past participle: shired
A large workhorse developed in England, presumably from black and dun stocks that were being imported into Great Britain by the eleventh century.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shire - a former administrative district of England; equivalent to a county|
administrative district, administrative division, territorial division - a district defined for administrative purposes
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
|2.||shire - British breed of large heavy draft horse|