Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Shona also Sho·nas
1. A member of a people of Zimbabwe and central Mozambique. The Shona include many subgroups, including the Karanga, Korekore, Manyika, Ndau, and Zezuru.
2. The Bantu language of the Shona.
[Shona -shona as in Mashona, the Shona people, and Chishona, the Shona language.]
npl -na or -nas
1. (Peoples) a member of a Sotho people of S central Africa, living chiefly in Zimbabwe and Mozambique
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family
n., pl. -nas, (esp. collectively) -na.
1. a member of any of a group of African peoples living mainly in Zimbabwe and adjacent parts of Mozambique.
2. the Bantu languages of the Shona.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Shona - a member of a Bantu tribe living in present-day Zimbabwe|
Bantu - a member of any of a large number of linguistically related peoples of Central and South Africa
|2.||Shona - a Bantu language spoken in Zimbabwe|
|Adj.||1.||Shona - of or relating to or characteristic of the culture of the Shonas|