Sierra Nevada(redirected from Sierra Nevada (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Si·er·ra Ne·va·da(sē-ĕr′ə nə-văd′ə, -vä′də)
1. (also syĕr′ä nĕ-vä′thä) A mountain range of southern Spain along the Mediterranean coast east of Granada. It rises to 3,479 m (11,414 ft) at Mulhacén.
2. A mountain range of eastern California extending about 650 km (400 mi) between the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys and the Nevada border. Mount Whitney, 4,417 m (14,491 ft), is the highest elevation.
n (functioning as singular)
1. (Placename) a mountain range in E California, parallel to the Coast Ranges. Highest peak: Mount Whitney, 4418 m (14 495 ft)
2. (Placename) a mountain range in SE Spain, mostly in Granada and Almería provinces. Highest peak: Cerro de Mulhacén, 3478 m (11 411 ft)
1. a mountain range in E California. Highest peak, Mt. Whitney, 14,495 ft. (4418 m).
2. a mountain range in S Spain. Highest peak, Mulhacén, 11,411 ft. (3478 m).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sierra Nevada - a mountain range in southern Spain along the Mediterranean coast to the east of Granada|
|2.||Sierra Nevada - a mountain range in eastern California; contains Mount Whitney|
Calif., California, Golden State, CA - a state in the western United States on the Pacific; the 3rd largest state; known for earthquakes
Donner Pass - a mountain pass in northeastern California near Lake Tahoe; site where in 1844 some members of an emigrant party survived by eating those who had died