Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A mountain, about 2,285 m (7,500 ft) high, of the southern Sinai Peninsula. It is traditionally claimed to be the peak on which Moses received the Ten Commandments.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a mountainous peninsula of NE Egypt at the N end of the Red Sea, between the Gulf of Suez and the Gulf of Aqaba: occupied by Israel in 1967; fully restored by 1982
2. (Bible) Mount Sinai the mountain where Moses received the Law from God (Exodus 19–20): often identified as Jebel Musa, sometimes as Jebel Serbal, both on the S Sinai Peninsula
3. (Placename) Mount Sinai the mountain where Moses received the Law from God (Exodus 19–20): often identified as Jebel Musa, sometimes as Jebel Serbal, both on the S Sinai Peninsula
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Si•nai(ˈsaɪ naɪ, ˈsaɪ niˌaɪ)
1. Also called Si′nai Penin′sula. a peninsula in NE Egypt, at the N end of the Red Sea between the Gulf of Suez and the Gulf of Aqaba.
2. Mount, the mountain, of uncertain identity, on which Moses received the Law. Ex. 19.
Si`na•it′ic (-niˈɪt ɪk) Si•na•ic (sɪˈneɪ ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sinai - a mountain peak in the southern Sinai Peninsula (7,500 feet high); it is believed to be the peak on which Moses received the Ten Commandments|
|2.||Sinai - a desert on the Sinai Peninsula in northeastern Egypt|
|3.||Sinai - a peninsula in northeastern Egypt; at north end of Red Sea|
Arab Republic of Egypt, Egypt, United Arab Republic - a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971; site of an ancient civilization that flourished from 2600 to 30 BC
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Sinai[ˈsaɪnaɪ] n → il Sinai
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995