Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Sioux (so͞o, so͞oz)
1. A member of a group of Native American peoples, comprising the Lakota, the Santee, the Yankton, and the Yanktonai, inhabiting the northern Great Plains from Minnesota to eastern Montana and from southern Saskatchewan to Nebraska. Present-day Sioux populations are located mainly in North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, and Nebraska.
2. Any of the Siouan languages of the Sioux peoples.
[North American French, short for nadouéssioux, from Ottawa na·towe·ssiwak, plural of na·towe·ssi, Sioux person, from Proto-Algonquian *na·towe·wa, northern Iroquoian, probably from *-a·towe·, to speak a foreign language.]
npl Sioux (suː; suːz)
1. (Peoples) a member of a group of North American Indian peoples formerly ranging over a wide area of the Plains from Lake Michigan to the Rocky Mountains
2. (Languages) any of the Siouan languages
[from French, shortened from Nadowessioux, from Chippewa Nadoweisiw]
n., pl. -tas, (esp. collectively) -ta for defs. 4-5.
1. a former territory in the U.S.: divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota 1889.
2. the Dakotas, North Dakota and South Dakota.
3. a member of an American Indian people of Minnesota and the N Great Plains in the mid-19th century: later confined to reservations, mainly in the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska, and Canada.
4. the easternmost subgroup of the Dakota.
5. the Siouan language of the Dakota.
Da•ko′tan, adj., n.
A native North American people originally ranging across the Great Plains from Lake Michigan to the Rocky Mountains.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sioux - a member of a group of North American Indian peoples who spoke a Siouan language and who ranged from Lake Michigan to the Rocky Mountains|
Buffalo Indian, Plains Indian - a member of one of the tribes of American Indians who lived a nomadic life following the buffalo in the Great Plains of North America
Biloxi - a member of the Siouan people of southeastern Mississippi
Catawba - a member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Carolinas
Crow - a member of the Siouan people formerly living in eastern Montana
Dakota - a member of the Siouan people of the northern Mississippi valley; commonly called the Sioux
Dhegiha - any member of a Siouan people speaking one of the Dhegiha languages
Gros Ventre, Hidatsa - a member of the Sioux people formerly inhabiting an area along the Missouri river in western North Dakota
Missouri - a member of the Siouan people formerly inhabiting the valley of the Missouri river in Missouri
Ofo - a member of the Siouan people living in the Yazoo river valley in Mississippi
Oto, Otoe - a member of the Siouan people inhabiting the valleys of the Platte and Missouri rivers in Nebraska
Lakota, Teton, Teton Dakota, Teton Sioux - a member of the large western branch of Sioux people which was made up of several groups that lived on the plains
Tutelo - a member of the Siouan people of Virginia and North Carolina
Winnebago - a member of the Siouan-speaking people formerly living in eastern Wisconsin south of Green Bay; ally of the Menomini and enemy of the Fox and Sauk people