skimmer(redirected from Skimmers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
top: copper spoon
bottom: straw hatskimmer
1. One that skims, such as a large perforated spoon used in skimming liquids.
2. A light, usually straw hat with a stiff wide brim and a flat shallow crown.
3. Any of several chiefly coastal seabirds of the genus Rynchops, having long narrow wings and an elongated lower mandible that is used to skim the water's surface for food, especially the black skimmer.
4. Any of various dragonflies chiefly of the family Libellulidae, often found near lakes and ponds.
5. A device, usually resembling a machine for making electronic transactions, that illicitly copies the information on a credit card for use in skimming frauds.
1. a person or thing that skims
2. (Animals) any of several mainly tropical coastal aquatic birds of the genus Rhynchops, having long narrow wings and a bill with an elongated lower mandible for skimming food from the surface of the water: family Rynchopidae, order Charadriiformes
3. (Cookery) a flat perforated spoon used for skimming fat from liquids
1. one that skims.
2. a shallow utensil used in skimming liquids.
3. any of several gull-like birds of the family Rynchopidae, that skim the water with the elongated lower bill immersed while in search of food.
4. a stiff, wide-brimmed hat with a shallow flat crown, usu. made of straw.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||skimmer - a rapid superficial reader|
reader - a person who can read; a literate person
|2.||skimmer - a cooking utensil used to skim fat from the surface of liquids|
|3.||skimmer - a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown|
|4.||skimmer - gull-like seabird that flies along the surface of the water with an elongated lower mandible immersed to skim out food|
coastal diving bird - gull family; skimmer family; jaeger family; auk family