sloth(redirected from Sloth (animal))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Sloth (animal): Three toed sloth
sloth(slôth, slŏth, slōth)
1. Aversion to work or exertion; laziness; indolence.
2. Any of various slow-moving, arboreal mammals of the suborder Folivora of South and Central America, having long hooklike claws by which they hang upside down from tree branches, and feeding on leaves, buds, and fruit, especially:
a. A member of the genus Bradypus, having three long-clawed toes on each forefoot. Also called ai, three-toed sloth.
b. A member of the genus Choloepus, having two toes on each forefoot. Also called two-toed sloth, unau.
3. A group of bears.
[Middle English slowth, alteration (influenced by slow, slow) of sleuth, from Old English slǣwth, from slāw, obtuse, torpid, sluggish; see slow. Sense 2, translation of Portuguese preguiça, laziness, sloth (animal of the suborder Folivora).]
1. (Animals) any of several shaggy-coated arboreal edentate mammals of the family Bradypodidae, esp Bradypus tridactylus (three-toed sloth or ai) or Choloepus didactylus (two-toed sloth or unau), of Central and South America. They are slow-moving, hanging upside down by their long arms and feeding on vegetation
2. reluctance to work or exert oneself
[Old English slǣwth; from slǣw, variant of slāw slow]
sloth(slɔθ or, esp. for 2, sloʊθ)
1. indolence; laziness.
2. any slow-moving, arboreal tropical American edentate of the family Bradypodidae, having hooklike claws and usu. hanging upside down.
Slothof bears: a company of bears—Bk. of St. Albans, 1486.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sloth - a disinclination to work or exert yourself|
|2.||sloth - any of several slow-moving arboreal mammals of South America and Central America; they hang from branches back downward and feed on leaves and fruits|
edentate - primitive terrestrial mammal with few if any teeth; of tropical Central America and South America
Bradypus tridactylus, three-toed sloth, ai - a sloth that has three long claws on each forefoot and each hindfoot
Choloepus didactylus, two-toed sloth, unai, unau - relatively small fast-moving sloth with two long claws on each front foot
|3.||sloth - apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins)|