social security(redirected from Social security system)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. often Social Security Abbr. SS A government program that provides economic assistance to persons faced with unemployment, disability, or agedness, financed by assessment of employers and employees.
2. The economic assistance provided by social security.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) public provision for the economic, and sometimes social, welfare of the aged, unemployed, etc, esp through pensions and other monetary assistance
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (often capitals) a government programme designed to provide such assistance
1. (often caps.) a program of old age, unemployment, health, disability, and survivors' insurance maintained by the U.S. government through employer and employee payments.
2. any public program providing for economic security and social welfare.
A government program that provides money to the needy, such as the unemployed; the money that is provided.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Social Security - social welfare program in the U.S.; includes old-age and survivors insurance and some unemployment insurance and old-age assistance|
social insurance - government provision for unemployed, injured, or aged people; financed by contributions from employers and employees as well as by government revenue
old-age insurance - insurance paid to the elderly
survivors insurance - insurance paid to surviving spouses
an sinh xã hội