Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Sogdian: Sogdiana
1. A member of an ancient Iranian people whose homeland was in the area around Samarkand and who had established settlements throughout Chinese Turkistan before the advent of Islam.
2. The extinct Middle Iranian language of this people, known chiefly from texts and inscriptions dating from the second to the ninth centuries ad.
[Latin Sogdiānus, from Greek Sogdoi, Sogdians, from Old Persian Sug(u)da-.]
1. (Historical Terms) a member of the people who lived in Sogdiana
2. (Peoples) a member of the people who lived in Sogdiana
3. (Languages) the language of this people, now almost extinct, belonging to the East Iranian branch of the Indo-European family
4. (Placename) of or relating to Sogdiana, its people, or their language
5. (Peoples) of or relating to Sogdiana, its people, or their language
6. (Languages) of or relating to Sogdiana, its people, or their language
Sog•di•an(ˈsɒg di ən)
1. a native or inhabitant of Sogdiana.
2. the extinct Iranian language of the Sogdians.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Sogdiana, the Sogdians, or their language.