audio(redirected from Sound recording and reproduction)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to recorded, transmitted, or reproduced sound.
2. Of or relating to humanly audible sound.
n. pl. au·di·os
1. Recorded or reproduced sound.
2. Audible sound.
3. A sound signal or recording.
4. The part of television or movie equipment that has to do with sound.
1. (Physiology) of or relating to sound or hearing: audio frequency.
2. (Electronics) relating to or employed in the transmission, reception, or reproduction of sound
3. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or operating at audio frequencies
[C20: independent use of audio-]
1. of, pertaining to, or employed in the transmission, reception, or reproduction of sound.
2. of or pertaining to frequencies or signals in the audible range.
3. designating an electronic apparatus using audio frequencies: audio amplifier.n.
a. the audio elements of television (disting. from video).
b. the circuits in a receiver for reproducing sound.
5. the field of sound recording, transmission, reception, and reproduction.
a combining form with the meanings “sound within the range of human hearing” (audiometer), “hearing” (audiology), “sound reproduction” (audiophile).
[< Latin audī- (s. of audīre to hear) + -o-]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||audio - the audible part of a transmitted signal; "they always raise the audio for commercials"|
telecasting, television, TV, video - broadcasting visual images of stationary or moving objects; "she is a star of screen and video"; "Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done" - Ernie Kovacs
auditory communication - communication that relies on hearing
|2.||audio - an audible acoustic wave frequency|
|3.||audio - a recording of acoustic signals |
audiotape - a tape recording of sound
phonograph record, phonograph recording, disc, platter, record, disk - sound recording consisting of a disk with a continuous groove; used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracks in the groove
recording - a storage device on which information (sounds or images) have been recorded
soundtrack - sound recording on a narrow strip of a motion picture film
talking book - sound recording of someone reading a book; frequently used by blind people
|4.||audio - the sound elements of television |
constituent, element, component - an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
audio[ˈɔːdiəʊ] adj [cassette, equipment, tape] → audio inv
audioin cpds → Audio-;
n → Hörbuch nt
n (Comput) → Soundkarte f
n (in recording studio) → Tonaufzeichnungsgeräte pl, → Audiogeräte pl; (= hi-fi) → Stereoanlage f
n → Hörfrequenz f
n → Audioguide m, tragbares Gerät mit Kopfhörer zum Abhören von Infos über Exponate in Museen etc
n → Lärmbelästigung f
n (Comput) → Sprachausgabe f
n → Phonotypistin f
adj → audiovisuell