soursop(redirected from Sour sop)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A tropical American evergreen tree (Annona muricata) widely cultivated for its spiny, yellow-green fruit with tart edible pulp.
2. The fruit of this tree. In both senses also called guanabana.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a small West Indian tree, Annona muricata, having large spiny fruit: family Annonaceae
2. (Cookery) the fruit of this tree, which has a tart edible pulp. Compare sweetsop
[C19: so called because of the flavour and consistency of the pulp]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sour•sop(ˈsaʊərˌsɒp, ˈsaʊ ər-)
1. the large, dark green, slightly acid, pulpy fruit of a small West Indian tree, Annona muricata, of the annona family.
2. the tree itself.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||soursop - small tropical American tree bearing large succulent slightly acid fruit|
|2.||soursop - large spiny tropical fruit with tart pulp related to custard apples|
custard apple - the fruit of any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona having soft edible pulp
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.