Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to South Pole: North Pole
a. The southern end of the earth's axis of rotation, a point in Antarctica.
b. The celestial zenith of this terrestrial point.
c. south pole The southern end of the axis of rotation of a planet or other celestial body.
2. south pole The south-seeking magnetic pole of a straight magnet.
1. (Placename) the southernmost point on the earth's axis, at the latitude of 90°S
2. (Astronomy) astronomy the point of intersection, in the constellation Octans, of the earth's extended axis and the southern half of the celestial sphere
3. (General Physics) (usually not capitals) the south-seeking pole of a freely suspended magnet
1. the southern end of the earth's axis, the southernmost point on earth.
2. the point at which the axis of the earth extended cuts the southern half of the celestial sphere; the south celestial pole.
3. (l.c.) See under magnetic pole (def. 1).
The southern end of the Earth's axis of rotation, a point in Antarctica.