technique(redirected from Southwestern blot technique)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The basic method for making or doing something, such as an artistic work or scientific procedure: learned the techniques involved in painting murals.
2. Skill or command in a particular activity: a pianist with superb technique. See Synonyms at skill.
[French, technical, technique, from Greek tekhnikos, technical; see technical.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a practical method, skill, or art applied to a particular task
2. proficiency in a practical or mechanical skill
3. special facility; knack: he had the technique of turning everything to his advantage.
[C19: from French, from technique (adj) technic]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the manner and ability with which an artist, writer, athlete, etc., employs the technical skills of a particular art or field of endeavor.
2. the body of specialized procedures and methods used in any specific field, esp. in an area of applied science.
3. any method used to accomplish something.
4. technical skill; degree to which one is able to apply procedures or methods.
[1810–20; < French (adj., n.) < Greek technikós, techniká; see technic]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- traffic-calming device - Any device (e.g. a speed bump) or technique on or next to a road that is used to slow or restrict traffic, especially in residential areas.
- appliance - First was the use or application of a technique, putting a technique into practice.
- expression marks - The collective term for musical directives, including tempo, volume, technique, phrasing, and mood.
- martial art - So named for Japanese bu-jutsu (bu + jutsu), "art, technique, skill, craft."
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
A technique is a method of doing something.
...the techniques of film-making.
...modern management techniques.
Technique is skill and ability which you develop through training and practice.
He went off to the Amsterdam Academy to improve his technique.
Technology is the use of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, for example in industry.
...our belief in the power of modern technology.
Computer technology can be expected to change.
Collins COBUILD English Usage © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 2004, 2011, 2012
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||technique - a practical method or art applied to some particular task|
method - a way of doing something, especially a systematic way; implies an orderly logical arrangement (usually in steps)
antialiasing - (computer graphics) a technique that is used to smooth jagged distortions in curves and diagonal lines so they appear smoother
Benday process - a photoengraving technique for adding shading or texture or tone to a printed image
bonding - (dentistry) a technique for repairing a tooth; resinous material is applied to the surface of the tooth where it adheres to the tooth's enamel
emulation - (computer science) technique of one machine obtaining the same results as another
immunofluorescence - (immunology) a technique that uses antibodies linked to a fluorescent dye in order to study antigens in a sample of tissue
photomechanics - the technique of using photomechanical methods to make photographs into plates for printing
|2.||technique - skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity; "practice greatly improves proficiency"|
skillfulness - the state of being cognitively skillful
brushwork - an artist's distinctive technique of applying paint with a brush
musketry - the technique of using small arms (especially in battle)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. method, way, system, approach, means, course, style, fashion, manner, procedure, mode, MO, modus operandi tests performed using a new technique
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. A method used in dealing with something:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
technique[tekˈniːk] N (gen) → técnica f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
technique[tɛkˈniːk] n → tecnica
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
the way in which a (usually skilled) process is, or should be, carried out. They admired the pianist's faultless technique. tegniek أسْلوب تِقْني техника técnica technika die Technik teknik τεχνικήtécnica tehnika, meetod روش؛ تکنیک tekniikka techniqueטכניקה तकनीक tehnika, postupak technika(i tudás) teknik tækni tecnica 技術 기법, 수법 technika tehnika; tehniskais izpildījums teknik techniekteknikk, håndlagtechnikatécnica tehnică техническое мастерство technika tehnika tehnika teknik เทคนิค teknik 技能，技巧 техніка; технічні прийоми فن، تکنيک، طریقۂ کار cách thức, phương thức 技能，技巧
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
technique→ أُسْلُوب metoda teknik Methode τεχνική técnica tekniikka technique tehnika tecnica 専門技術 기법 techniek teknikk technika técnica техника teknik กลวิธี teknik kỹ xảo 技艺
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. técnica, método o procedimiento.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
techniquen técnica; aseptic — técnica aséptica or estéril; relaxation — técnica de relajación; sterile — técnica estéril or aséptica
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.